Sunday 27 January 2013

How To Make A Bow

Hi!

I was asked by annaroseparker on Instagram if I could do a tutorial of how to make a bow, so here it is!

I apoligise for the poor quality of everything, I had to take pictures of them with my left hand and it went all shaky and weird, plus I apoligise for the state of my nails and hand, they need some well deserved tlc!

Firstly you will need;

 Scissors (I use normal scissors but fabric scissors are the best option)
 Fabric, practice on old pillow cases until you get the jist of it
 Needle and thread
 Sewing Machine (preferably)

Ok, so here are the steps of How To Make A Bow:

 Get your fabric (I use old bedding etc) and your scissors and place them on your workstation/desk/bench or whatever you plan on making it on


 Cut out a rectangle making sure that along the bottom is the size you want your bow to be and the sides are double the width you want your bow to be as you are going to be doubling it over



 Fold your rectangle in half, doubling it over as explained in the previous instruction, making sure the patterned side or nicer side is on the inside/unseen


 Trim your rectangle as I tend to make them too long (as I have in this case). Doing this makes them a more bow shape rather than an odd, long, squashed shape



 Sew along the sides, leaving one side open (preferably the top) as shown below


 I then trim the sides so it is neater, make sure you dont do it too near the stitches or else you'll cut through them


 Turn your fabric inside out so that the patterned/nicer side is now visible, be careful when doing this as you dont want to split the fabric or stitches


Fold in the open side, creating a neater edge 


 Sew carefully along this edge, this will now close the rectangle creating the body of the bow



 Cut a strip of fabric to use as the middle section of the bow, making sure its long enough to fit around the bow (can be cut shorter later on)


 Pinch the bow in the center and wrap the strip of fabric around the middle, keeping hold of the two ends of the strip


 Stitch the two ends together, make sure you sew them together securely otherwise they'll come loose. Don't sew the strip to the actual bow


 Turn it over and sort out the bow, positioning it correctly etc.


 Now you have a bow!




I hope that made sense and that you all learnt how to make a bow! I tried to make it as simple as possible but if you need to contact me for any further information then I shall leave my details at the end.  

Love you!

IG|floralteacups
KIK|hhhannah_



1 comment:

  1. Love this tutorial! Check out mine on how to make a scrunchie!
    Naomi -
    http://stylespritz.blogspot.co.uk/
    xox

    ReplyDelete